Paul is a partner in the Employment and Safety team at Colin Biggers & Paisley and an Accredited Specialist in Workplace Relations. He helps resolve complex matters in the workplace, with a particular focus on corporate and institutional culture, child safety and protection, serious misconduct, employee misdeeds and reputational risk.
Paul has particular expertise in the education sector, advising independent non-government schools, governing bodies, religious orders, denominations and child care providers on contemporary employment and education law issues involving staff, students and parents.
His recent experience includes:
- defending non-government Catholic schools in the Federal Court and Fair Work Commission in relation to numerous high-profile departures of teachers
- defending the third largest labour hire company in the world on one of the largest employment law class actions in Australia involving hundreds of casual employees
- advising a non-government school on its child safety framework, employee relations strategy and contemporary school governance practices following high-profile media scrutiny
- advising Boral in a landmark case against the CFMEU in a successful appeal to the High Court of Australia (in one of the decades most significant industrial relations cases against a union)
- acting for a non-government school in a contested employment matter in the Federal Circuit Court relating to casual employment status
- appearing for a national football trade union in the Fair Work Commission in a contested industrial dispute involving a female soccer team
- advising companies in relation to the negotiation of enterprise bargaining agreements and prevention of industrial action
- defending a construction company in the County Court following a workplace fatality by entering a guilty plea and significantly minimising the penalty imposed
- advising numerous publicly listed companies on high risk departures of senior executives frequently involving media exposure
- advising and defending numerous companies in relation to underpayment of wages by undertaking wage audits, rectifying identified non-compliance and avoiding litigation by negotiating enforceable undertakings with the Fair Work Ombudsman
- resolving numerous sensitive sexual harassment cases for employers
- advising on and conducting complex and sensitive workplace investigations into institutional and reportable conduct
- advising senior executives in relation to their employment contracts, entitlements and post-employment restraints.
Paul played a critical role in State and Federal judicial and court administration for a 10 year period while working at the Supreme Court of Victoria and Federal Magistrates Court of Australia, where he worked with two Chief Justices. He also held an executive position at the Family Court of Australia where he was responsible for overall delivery of registry services to the judiciary and self-represented litigants as well as the management and supervision of 60 registry staff.
Paul has a Master of Laws (University of Melbourne), Bachelor of Laws (Hons) (Macquarie University) and Advanced Diploma (Business) (RMIT University). He is also an Accredited Specialist in Workplace Relations (Law Institute of Victoria).
Paul was admitted to practice in 2008.
Paul joined Colin Biggers & Paisley in 2017.