The financial services sector continues to be subject to market transformation driven by several factors - increasing regulatory supervision and intervention, digital transformation, new market entrants and innovators, legislative reform arising from the Banking Royal Commission, social and economic disruptors such as COVID-19, and global market and regulatory convergence.
Our experienced financial services team has a dedicated focus on business, markets, products and regulation in the financial services, capital, credit and investment sectors.
We advise wholesale and retail financial services providers, financial institutions, intermediaries and other sector participants both in Australia and around the world, and help them understand and address the market and regulatory requirements in the financial services sector. Our clients include insurers, banks and neo banks, credit providers, payment platform providers, brokers, foreign exchange and derivatives dealers, managed investment (traditional fund and alternative models) and superannuation funds.
Our team also has significant experience in fintech, and advises financial institutions, disruptors, start-ups and technology businesses on the development, use or outsourcing of technology in the context of financial services digital transformation, and regtech in the financial services sector.
We offer our clients a competitive advantage by providing seamless legal services which reflect a combination of our team's corporate, commercial, regulatory, prudential and investigation skills, matched with a deep knowledge and understanding of financial markets and regulators.
Our experience includes advising on:
- financial services regulatory and prudential frameworks, governance, compliance, licensing, enforcement and investigations
- interactions with regulators - ASIC, APRA, Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA), ACCC, ASX and the Markets Disciplinary Tribunal
- fintech, payment systems and data
- banking, neo banks and digital banks
- managed investment and property funds
- insurance (all classes)
- foreign financial services
- anti-money laundering
- privacy, GDPR and Consumer data right
- M&A and transactions
- financial product innovation and distribution
- contentious revenue
- intermediation and disintermediation
- financial markets.