David Passarella is a partner in the planning and environment team at Colin Biggers & Paisley.
David has over 17 years experience in planning and environment law and provides his clients with strategic advice on planning and environmental matters, from the initial purchase and site acquisition to planning and development applications and strategies, and resolving the legal issues that arise in the process of developing and managing property. David regularly represents and appears for his clients in Tribunal, Planning Panel and Court processes.
David's practice is pro-development and he has supported his clients to obtain planning approvals for some of the largest private developments in the Melbourne CBD, as well as advising on projects in surrounding Metropolitan and Regional areas. He also acts for clients on environmental disputes and compulsory land acquisition claims.
David acts for residential and mixed-use property developers, private landowners, and corporations in the commercial, retail, industrial and health and aged care sectors.
David's expertise includes:
- Acting for Woolworths and providing planning advice and representation on various Supermarket proposals, including full-line supermarkets, Metro supermarkets and Customer Fulfilment Centres. This involved providing strategic planning advice during the planning approval process, advice on site suitability and representation and appearing at VCAT on Woolworths' behalf. Examples of projects have included Carrum Downs Supermarket, Albert Park Metro and Black Rock Metro.
- Providing advice to Riverlee in relation to the redevelopment of the heritage-protected Goods Shed 5 for the purposes of a mixed-use development, comprising residential apartments, a function centre, food and beverage offerings, retail and Australia’s first 1 Hotel.
- Representing Orb Property Partners in a VCAT appeal relating to the Minister for Planning’s refusal to grant a permit for a large, mixed-use development in the Arden-Macaulay Urban Renewal Area, comprising residential apartments, retired living, offices, retail, a theatre, a skate park and a new public park of approximately 1,000sqm in size.
- Representing AZX Group in an appeal against Melbourne City Council’s refusal to grant a planning permit for a 67-level mixed use tower in A’Beckett Street in the Melbourne CBD.
- Providing strategic planning advice to APN Property Group Limited in relation to a mixed use, three tower scheme on a 2.5 hectare parcel of land in Port Melbourne, and subsequently representing APN in both a VCAT appeal and the Fishermans Bend Planning Review Panel.
David has a Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Science. David was admitted to practice in 2004 and joined Colin Biggers & Paisley in 2022.
Outside of work David enjoys travelling, food and cycling.