Katherine is a senior associate in the planning and environment team at Colin Biggers & Paisley.
Katherine is a specialist in environmental, contamination and pollution issues under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997 (NSW) and the Contaminated Land Management Act 1997 (NSW), with a particular industry focus on the waste industry having worked in house for a large waste management facility previously. She advises clients regarding contaminated sites, land owner obligations, public authority powers and regulatory enforcement orders such as clean up notices, show cause notices and prevention notices.
She also regularly advises on planning and environmental matters for complex development projects involving commercial, mixed-use and residential developments. These have included convention centres in world heritage areas, redevelopment of golf courses into residential subdivision, large retail stores and private schools seeking to expand, holders of mineral resource exploration licences, defending developers against enforcement processes of the NSW Environment Protection Authority, Councils and the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment.
Katherine assists with the preparation and management of:
- Due diligence for site acquisitions
- Project documentation - Environmental Impact Statements, Statements of Environmental Effects, Environment Protection Licences, Review of Environmental Factors, Planning Proposals, Plans of Management, and Operational Environmental Management Plans, crane swing and rock anchor licences
- Litigation in class 1, 3, 4 and 5 of the Land and Environment Court
- Contamination clauses in leases including providing advice on baseline contamination reports prepared by specialist contamination consultants
- Disputes between developers and neighbours/objectors in relation to controversial development applications
- Compulsory acquisitions of privately owned land from public authorities
- Dividing fence disputes under the Dividing Fences Act 1991 (NSW)
Katherine has acted in a number of large litigation matters including:
- Clearstate Development Co Pty Ltd v Liverpool City Council  NSWLEC 1279
- Al Maha Pty Ltd v Huajun Investments Pty Ltd  NSWCA 245
- Port Macquarie-Hastings Council v Mansfield  NSWLEC 107
- Black Hill Residents Group Incorporated v Marist Youth Care Limited  NSWLEC 112
- Black Hill Residents Group Incorporated v Marist Youth Care Limited (No 2)  NSWLEC 137
Katherine also defends clients in criminal proceedings in the Land and Environment Court and the Local Court for offences against the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979 (NSW). She also has interstate experience defending a large aquaculture company in criminal proceedings.
In addition to her Bachelor of Laws (Honours), Katherine has a Bachelor of Science with a major in Biological Sciences (Distinction).
Katherine joined Colin Biggers & Paisley in 2017 and was promoted to senior associate in 2019.