Our aviation team brings together decades of experience, with many of the partners recognised as leading lawyers in their fields. For instance, Andrew Tulloch is the current President of the Aviation Law Association of Australia and New Zealand, a founding member and current Secretary of the Australian Aviation Insurance Forum and is regularly recognised as a leading aviation lawyer in various directories such as Chambers and Partners, Asia-Pacific Legal 500 and Best Lawyers.
We draw on our expertise in insurance, construction, property, corporate and finance law and dispute resolution, all of which are highly relevant to the aviation industry.
Our expertise also extends to:
In the aviation insurance area, we provide comprehensive services in drafting, amending and maintaining an extensive range of policy wordings, ensuring so far as possible that plain English is used.
This includes experience with policy wordings for aircraft, hangar keepers' liability, loss of licence, aircraft aerial application liability and non-owned aircraft liability, as well as balloon, glider and hang glider policies. We are also becoming increasingly involved with risks involving unmanned aerial vehicles, or drones.
Our clients include insurers, airlines, aircraft operators, freight forwarders, airport operators, governments, regulators, cargo exporters and importers.
Examples of our experience include:
- advising airlines and their underwriters on hull and liability claims following aircraft accidents
- acting on behalf of carriers, freight forwarders and cargo interests in relation to claims for damage to air cargo
- acting on behalf of an engine manufacturer in a coronial inquest into the death of a pilot and passengers
- acting for a number of aviation clients in a class action property dispute
- acting in proceedings concerning a building dispute arising from the redevelopment of domestic air terminals
- advising aircraft repairers in relation to liability issues concerning aircraft accidents
- acting for companies delivering supplies and equipment to offshore oil platforms and army bases in war zones
- acting for clients on matters involving aircraft leasing and finance
- drafting aviation insurance policies and advising on their coverage