A partner in Colin Biggers & Paisley's insurance team since 2013, Andrew's practice focuses on trade and transport law, supply chain and logistics. He has expertise in maritime and aviation law with a special interest in transport insurance. He is very experienced in the insurance of the shipping, offshore and transportation sectors.
Andrew acts for a variety of maritime and aviation clients in Australia including cargo and hull insurers. He advises in all aspects of trade and transport law, including disputes concerning imports and exports and advising port authorities, and ship and airline operators. He also has extensive knowledge in subrogated recovery actions against air and sea carriers.
Andrew's experience extends to policy interpretation and drafting. He has worked in Australia and overseas advising insurers on these issues and has extensive knowledge of the Australian Insurance Contracts Act 1984 and the Marine Insurance Act 1909 (Cth).
Andrew also advises major corporations on supply chain and logistics contracts and has advised on a number of major disputes regarding damage to offshore energy facilities.
Andrew is an active member of the Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand (MLAANZ) and the Aviation Law Association of Australia and New Zealand (ALAANZ). He was the past president of ALAANZ and continues to regularly participate in the Sydney Marine Discussion Group. Andrew is a founding member of the Melbourne Marine Insurance Forum and the Australian Aviation Insurance Forum.
Andrew has been consistently recognised for his expertise in the areas of aviation, transport and shipping law in the listings below:
- Chambers and Partners 2014 to 2023 - leading lawyer for Shipping Law
- Chambers and Partners 2021 to 2023 - leading lawyer for Aviation Law
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2015 to 2022 - leading individual in Transport Law
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 to 2023 - Hall of Fame for Transport: shipping
- Who's Who Legal Transport 2019 - leading lawyer in shipping and aviation law
- Who's Who Legal Transport 2023 - leading lawyer in aviation law
- Doyle's Guide 2016 to 2023 - leading Admiralty, Shipping and Maritime Lawyer
- Doyle's Guide 2016 to 2019 and 2022 - leading Aviation Lawyer
- Doyle's Guide 2020 - preeminent lawyer in Aviation Law
- Best Lawyers in Australia 2024 - Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Best Lawyers in Australia 2018 to 2024 - Aviation Law, Insurance Law, Trade Law and Transportation Law
- Best Lawyers in Australia 2020 to 2024 - Shipping and Maritime Law
- Best Lawyers 2016 - Lawyer of the Year, Trade Law
- Best Lawyers 2017 and 2020 to 2022 - Lawyer of the Year, Aviation Law
- AsiaLaw 2020 - distinguished practitioner in Shipping Law
Andrew is the author of the Australian chapter in the 8th edition of The Aviation Law Review, which was published in September 2020.
Andrew holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws. He was admitted to practice in1978.