Michael is a Partner in the Property and Development group at Colin Biggers & Paisley.
He acts for major corporate property developers and builders across Australia, with a focus on Melbourne, in relation to a range of property-types including commercial, residential, industrial, hotels and serviced apartments and shopping centres.
Michael has a broad area of practice, and advises on property development, building and construction contracts, major infrastructure projects, Building Act advice, planning, land management agreements, commercial leases and stamp duty advice. He also advises on property joint ventures, economic entitlement issues, windfall gains tax and reviews of finance and construction facilities.
Michael has travelled widely in China, and acts for Chinese clients in property developments and business matters. He is the company secretary for the Chinese Museum, and he is the Australian resident director for several overseas technology companies. He was previously chair of Uniting Care LifeAssist
, which assisted people with disabilities.
Michael's recent instructions include:
Recent seminars include Sale of Land Act changes for Television Education Network, COVID commercial rent relief for the Law Institute of Victoria, Leo Cussen and estate agents.
- Acting on behalf of Salta Properties in relation to the development of their Altona and Dandenong South Inland Port facilities, including acquisitions, land tax, land swaps and leasing;
- Acting in relation to various construction facilities, including syndicated facilities, including one of $500 million;
- Acting on behalf of the Blue Earth Group on site acquisitions, finance contracts, off the plan sales and associated stamp duty and tax issues;
- Negotiated the pre- sale of a development site for build-to-rent, including development by the Vendor, and raising economic entitlement issues;
- Advising a senior not-for-profit organisation on the acquisition of their new Melbourne headquarters;
- Advising Shayher Properties Pty ltd in relation to the development of the Pentridge site, and off the plan sales, s173 agreements, leases with power companies and owners corporation rules;
- Assisting an Australian-Chinese Developer in tower developments and broad acre subdivision, and shareholder disputes; and
- Advising and appearing in rent dispute cases.
Michael was admitted to practice in 1980, and graduated with B Com (Hons), LLB (Hons). Michael joined Colin Biggers & Paisley in 2021.