A partner in Colin Biggers & Paisley's construction and engineering practice since 2018, Julian has over 20 years of experience finding legal solutions to help his clients achieve their goals. His clients include government, principals, contractors, consultants and supplier entities.
His practice covers projects in the Asia Pacific and Australia. Julian advises on all areas of project documentation which encompasses preparing, negotiating and administering documentation ensuring projects are delivered on time and on budget. His aim is to simplify complex projects and address commercial risks and opportunities.
Julian is also experienced in disputes and utilises legal strategies and tools such as project documentation and structuring, alternative dispute resolution, claims management, litigation, adjudication under SOP legislation, statutory liability defences and insurance to avoid, minimise and resolve conflict.
He regularly provides workshops, training, tools and updates to help clients comply with legal requirements and to implement appropriate quality controls, both in their day-to-day activities and their special ventures, with a particular focus on directors' and officers' liability and statutory compliance.
Julian has expertise in identifying, implementing and monitoring legal solutions to increase productivity, decrease spend, eliminate problems and simplify tasks for a range of clients including directors and officers, in-house counsel and commercial managers.
Recent projects include:
- Defending a foreign government in an arbitration concerning a World Bank funded bridge.
- Partnering with a government energy generator to prepare their pro-forma upgrade contracts.
- Advising a ministerial holding corporation and NSW treasury officials in regard to works on Australia's largest power station.
- Acting for an EPC contractor in an arbitration involving one of the largest iron ore mines in the world.
- Acting for one of the world's largest suppliers on disputes concerning a New Zealand construction project.
- Drafting contract documentation for an ASX listed EPC about TfNSW traction power upgrade projects.
- Reviewing/drafting gas supply and thermal energy supply agreements for energy generation facilities.
- Advising architects on their contract terms for part of the $2 billion Frasers Central Park commercial/residential urban development.
He is listed in Chambers Asia-Pacific
2022 and 2023 for his expertise in construction. He is also co-author of a textbook on contract law (Mellick, J, Newlyn D, 2015, Contract Law
, LexisNexis Butterworths).
Julian was admitted as a solicitor in 2001 and is admitted to practice in the Supreme Court of New South Wales and High Court of Australia. He holds a Bachelor of Science(Pure Mathematics) and a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Sydney.