Rail is a crucial part of Australia's transport network and is affected by a variety of legal considerations, such as safety, regulation, privatisation and logistics.
We advise on liability matters in relation to damage to cargo carried by rail and injuries to passengers. We can assist with liability disputes and cargo recovery claims.
Our clients include insurers, rail operators, cargo owners, freight forwarders, governments and regulators.
We have expertise in other areas relevant to the rail industry, such as construction, property, corporate and finance law and dispute resolution, as well as expertise in:
Our experience includes:
- advising Abigroup on their tender for the Surface and Viaduct Civil Works Package, which forms part of Transport for New South Wales' $2.4 billion North West Rail Link Project
- advising insurers on the operation of carrier's terms and conditions and exclusion clauses
- reviewing and drafting rail operators' terms and conditions of carriage
- acting on behalf of carriers, freight forwarders and cargo interests and their respective insurers on claims for damage to cargo
- advising on insurance arrangements for passenger rail privatisation in Victoria
- advising Australian Rail Track Corporation on the procurement and delivery of the Southern Sydney Freight Line project
- advising Transport for New South Wales on the Sydney Metro project
- drafting logistics contracts, including chain of responsibility clauses
- advising Downer Rail in relation to its through life support obligations for the Waratah Rolling Stock PPP project
Chambers and Partners, Asia-Pacific Legal 500 and Best Lawyers are among the directories that recognise many of our partners as leading lawyers.